Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dear Ms. Zobrist,

A student that interviewed me in January for a class came to my work today to drop off a 'thank you note'. You may be thinking this was a kind gesture on his behalf. It was not for the following reasons:

1. During the interview he told me he was required to send one. He also told me this with a hint of disbelief in his voice... like he was thinking that it is passe to write them (note: It is not).
2. He did not mail it... he gave it to me. call me old fashioned, but it just seems odd for a person to drop off a thank you note. 44 cents for a stamp is not that much.
3. It was written in PENCIL and on a piece of LOOSE LEAF PAPER! Seriously?!?!

That is not only lazy, it is insulting. I know my job is not very busy... but I took time out of my day to answer his questions (of which 95% of them can be found on our website) and he thanks me by writing me a 'note' that is not even folded into fourths correctly. I about had a flashback to fifth grade in Mrs. Kelso's class while taking it from him (except for the fact that we folded our notes way cooler - of course)!

I showed it to my boss. She just stared at it and shook her head in disbelief. We then had a talk about how unbelievable it is that kids like this are getting degrees (yes, this guy is graduating in May... and to top it off, he is going to be a nurse. God help us all).

I don't know... am I being a snob? Perhaps, but we all have our standards.

4 comments:

  1. I thought you were talking about an elementary school student until I read the last paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did I!! This creature is GRADUATING from COLLEGE???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I hope he isnt a student at PURDUE....some one failed him along the way! Mrs.Kelso would be proud!!

    ReplyDelete