Friday, May 28, 2010

Entitlement

my morning ritual when I get to work goes like this: turn on computer, check on plants, check email (personal and work), read my favorite blogs, and check my favorite news sites (BBC, CNN, and NPR). Today while perusing the sites I came across this article about how recent college grads are not prepared to enter the workforce. I generally agree, but not for the same reasons as the article states.

As a recent college grad I had a hard time adjusting to my new life as a working adult. It was difficult for me to know that I would be doing the same thing every day... it seems boring. When I graduated I had the idea that I could change the world in a year or so. I now know that changing the world means changing yourself and hopefully meeting others who want to do the same (I have the best friends ever... what a bunch of movers and shakers!). So in that respect, college did not prepare me for the 'real world'.

The article states that college grads aren't ready for the workforce because of the lack of professionalism (i.e. dont care about appearances and are late to work too often), but what they really focused on in the story was a presence of entitlement in the students.

Now I know that some of my peers have this view post-graduation, but not all newbies do. Maybe it has something to do with the specific school I attended (WE ARE EUREKA!), but I don't think any of my friends have this view. We all took jobs that didn't pay much because we understood that we are beginning our careers. I'm not saying we don't complain about it, but that is mostly because we all have a huge amount of debt to pay off.

And might I add that the generations before us told us that the reason we were going to college was to get a good paying job - and then when young adults expect that, they are labeled as 'those kids with a sense of entitlement'.

I'm sure a lot of this is just caused from a generational gap. For example, a lot of younger adults do not find it necessary to get dressed up for work when all you are going to do is sit behind a computer all day and see co-workers. The older generations feel that dressing up for work is a necessity...

I know that I am making a mountain out of a molehill, but this is whats on my mind right now.
_________________________

Side Note: I hope everyone has a FAB Memorial Day weekend! The husband and I will be extremely busy sleeping, playing video games, sewing, birdwatching, and the like. oh, and I have to do laundry and our dryer is not working... so it looks like we will have clothes strewn all over the apt for the time being.

3 comments:

  1. I think our ambition and confidence can be mistaken for entitlement. We went to a school where we were continuously told we were going to change the world and so we stepped out into it with wide eyes. This was a great article, Bist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i tried to click on the link and it didn't work... :( what news site is it at?

    ReplyDelete