Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Yet to be named...

this is the first installment of a series of posts yet to be named... but it is about people who have affected my life in major ways.

Dr. Lauren Logsdon

If it wasn't for this man, I would have NEVER started a blog. In fact, I probably would have never shown anyone any of my writing. He was the first English teacher/professor I had who actually taught me how and why to write. More importantly, he showed me that I had potential I never knew I had. In college I took a few writing courses and literary criticism classes for electives - and it was because of this man.

Dr. Logsdon is the most caring man you will ever meet; he would never tell you that of course. Nor would he believe it, but it is truth. When I decided to go to El Salvador for a week over summer break, he supported me financially. He also always took time out of his busy schedule to say hi and chat with me and friends if he saw us around campus.

He also made his classes fun. Now this is no small feat, as I took freshman English with him. He made up crazy examples of incorrect sentences, always had a random bonus question on his quizzes, and instructed us to make writing fun. Writing doesn't always have to be serious, and rarely was it in his class. In the class we had to write in a journal. I made my journal a soap opera script based off the dorm floor where I lived. I'm sure the writing was terrible, but he liked it anyways; probably because he knew I had fun writing it. :)

A couple of weeks ago The Husband and I went to the library. I was imagining I was Belle from Beauty and the Beast (I actually do this people...) when I came across the author Ray Bradbury, Dr. Logsdon's favorite writer. I checked the book out and am currently reading it. I can see why Dr. Logsdon loves Ray Bradbury; they remind me of each other. Whenever I start to read a new chapter I smile.

So thanks to Dr. Logsdon and all the professors I had that helped me figure out who I am and what I am capable of accomplishing.

--------------

Sorry I'm so nostalgic today folks... I ran across a list of Smallest Schools and good ole EC was on it!

1 comment: