Tuesday, August 3, 2010

music musings

We had a good time while home this past weekend. We got to see 2 of my friends from high school and their children, both our families, 1 friend from college, and I went shopping at my favorite second hand stores! Also, I splurged a lot and ate too many sweets and delish fattening dips. No worries all, I paid for it on Monday with a killer stomach ache. I also am finding myself craving more sweets than I had before we went home... I hope my detox is not as bad as it was when I first 'quit.' However, I am learning about more and more slightly-better-for-you sweets. Thanks to my family for being supportive of my new lifestyle change!

This past weekend the husband and I were driving and one of my favorite songs from high school came on the radio. I cranked up the volume and went into a full on rendition of the song, microphone and all (ps. the mic was also my thumb). The song was "Grand Illusion" by Styx. For those that may not know, I was a HUGE Styx fan circa 2000-2002. While most of my peers were loving Usher, Destiny's Child, and whoever wrote 'who let the dogs out', I was lovin 40 year old dudes who used to have mullets. Whatevs, they got me through some hard times (aka hello clinical depression). Anyways, this got me thinking about favorite artists and bands that I had growing up... so here is a list about it.

5th Grade - Hansen: Sorry, but I was 11. I had no musical taste. My favorite one was the drummer. Its always been drummers...). The spice Girls were a close 2nd though.
6th Grade - I dont remember really being into music this year... except for Mariah Carey and No Doubt
7th Grade - Puff Daddy and the Family: This was my brief stint into the rap scene. I loved me some Puff Daddy, Ma$e, and Usher. Coincidentally this is also when I discovered contemporary christian music (Avalon, anyone??!?).
8th Grade - Aerosmith, Steve Miller Band, Styx, FFH. This was also the first year I went to a real concert. my parents took a friend and I to see Steve Miller Band. it truly was trippy.
9th Grade - Styx, Carole King, tons of Christina bands (Jennifer Knapp, Jars of Clay, Third Day, SuperTones).
10th Grade - Styx, Creed, POD, Kirk Franklin, Jars of Clay, bad worship music, Jennifer Knapp, and Skillet
11th Grade - Any and all Christian Rock Music. I owned a lot of of 2.99 music samplers.
12th Grade - Dave Matthews Band, early-mid 90's music, Carole King, Jars of Clay

These days I am enjoying the occasional classic rock, but I am mostly sticking to Rilo Kiley, DMB, Gillian Welch, and Sufjan Stevens. I may stick with this folky scene for a bit... I'm really enjoying it!








4 comments:

  1. I recall when you were into The Divinyls and patriotic ballads during jr. year of college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why'd you leave out this one:
    First Year of Marriage - 4Him, Point of Grace, and that one album from the white dude from DC Talk that's NOT Toby Mac?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore Carole King. In fact, I'm pretty sure that if I ever met her, I'd hug her. And probably cry.

    ReplyDelete