Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I've Got a Fever: Baby Fever

*Thanks to Abbi's post for the inspiration!*

Seeing as I have 3 family members and 4 friends that are pregnant right now, Ive been thinking a lot about babies... and more specifically having my OWN baby. Just thinking about it is overwhelming but exciting at the same time! I look forward to becoming a mother someday, but that day is not in the immediate future, and the tiny part of my brain that is logical is okay with that. The majority of my brain, however, is full of baby fever.

I read a lot of mommy blogs. I am so interested in the different ways Americans raise their children! Whilst reading the blogs I tuck away the ideas and opinions that i think would work best for me in my mind for when we decide to have a baby. I also read a lot of articles on BBC and NPR about the latest studies about children, child birth and what-not. I am also guilty of perusing online children's stores for strollers and baby slings. I like to think of it as preliminary research. The more I decide on ahead of time the less I have to worry about when I actually am pregnant, right?!?!

Since I am not having my own child for a while (we are thinking 2 years), I have decided to dote on the kids already in my life. I have been very busy making dresses, bibs, boppy covers, headbands, and leggings for all my friends expecting and those that already have kids. I am so excited for my friends that are in the next stage of life, and I know that when my time comes, they will be just as excited for me!

For now, I will enjoy the moments alone I get to spend with my husband, the mini-vacations we get to take, the sewing projects I have time to complete, and the multiple naps that fill my weekend.

Actually, I think my baby fever was slightly reduced after reading that last sentence.


3 comments:

  1. Oh my gah...I'm not kidding when I say I thought about that for the title of my post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try a cool cloth and some ibuprofen. That generally gets rid of my fevers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment! I know how you feel. before I had my daughter, being a momma was all I thought about! The best way to combat baby fever is to spend lots of time with babies, believe it or not! My sister is 22 and has baby fever all the time so I invite her over to help change the poopy diapers, listen to the crying and watch my little one make a mess as I run around like a crazy person trying to clean up after her. She says it helps a LOT! *lol* You're right about doing research ahead of time. You'll be much more prepared when the time comes. I did a lot of reading up on baby gear, ways to save money and things like that. It helps to have that extra time to discuss parenting topics with your man in advance so you can be sure to be on the same page and/or make compromises. Being a mom is quite a hand full but I love it and wouldn't trade it for the world! Speaking of baby slings, I used a Moby Wrap for my little one and both myself and my husband loved it!! He would put her in the wrap and sway back and forth in front of the tv while he played xbox late at night. Being so close to him always put her to sleep right away. He laughed and said "I thought that I would play less video games once we had a baby but now I play more!" :)

    ReplyDelete